[ft-devel] Accelerating freetype rendering with SSE/AVX

From: Дмитрий Леонтьев
Subject: [ft-devel] Accelerating freetype rendering with SSE/AVX
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2018 15:48:17 +0300

Hello.

I've developed an algorithm which can rasterize paths with SIMD instructions. I believe this algorithm may be useful for freetype library. It draws characters in 1-bit resolution(it can be useful for HiDPI displays) but can be adapted to 256-color rendering by reducind hi-res images down to 8bpp ones.

However, I don't understand how can i apply this algorithm to freetype library. Can anyone give me a piece of advice on the following topics:

1)what is the correct way to add my path rendering algorithm to freetype?
I can redesign API in whatever way suitable to freetype, but I don't know where to start.

2)my algorithm is best in rendering paths combines of lines. quadratic curves are also ok, and the algorithm does not care about order of primitives as long as they make a closed path. But I've no idea how to handle cubic curves. Is there any built-in-freetype option to decompose them before drawing?

Thanks,
Dmitry