[ft-devel] Question about getting started with freetype library

From: Colin Girling
Subject: [ft-devel] Question about getting started with freetype library
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2018 07:15:54 +0000

Good morning,

I am currently tasked with fixing how freetype is being integrated into our build system, but I have not been able to find instructions on the website on how to get the library built and working on my Linux environment.

We are using an older Ubuntu 14.04 64-bit version here, as this is the current development platform for our embedded devices.

I have limited knowledge of make, so I have tried make and make install, but get the following errors:

In file included from /home/colin/dev/DTV_Trunk/3rd_party/freetype-2.9/src/autofit/autofit.c:35:0:

/home/user/dev/trunk/3rd_party/freetype-2.9/src/autofit/afscript.h:35:11: error: ‘HB_SCRIPT_ADLAM’ undeclared here (not in a function)

           HB_SCRIPT_ADLAM,

           ^

/home/ user/dev/trunk/3rd_party/freetype-2.9/src/autofit/afshaper.c:90:38: note: in definition of macro ‘SCRIPT’

#define SCRIPT( s, S, d, h, H, ss )  h,

                                      ^

/home/ user/dev/trunk/3rd_party/freetype-2.9/src/autofit/afscript.h:278:11: error: ‘HB_SCRIPT_OSAGE’ undeclared here (not in a function)

           HB_SCRIPT_OSAGE,

           ^

/home/ user/dev/trunk/3rd_party/freetype-2.9/src/autofit/afshaper.c:90:38: note: in definition of macro ‘SCRIPT’

#define SCRIPT( s, S, d, h, H, ss )  h,

                                      ^

make: *** [/home/ user/dev/trunk/3rd_party/freetype-2.9/objs/autofit.lo] Error 1

What I am trying to achieve is placing the freetype library into our 3rd party folder structure, build the library and get this linking with our application.

I’m also trying to avoid changing ftoption.h if that’s at all possible, as we want to support multiple versions of freetype without changing the original code, although I am still unclear on if this is possible.

Would you be able to point me in the direction of some documentation that can explain how I could achieve these goals, as I am unable to search the website.

I would also be curious to know if there are any plans to put the library onto github, as we try to avoid using sourceforge after their business inserted adware into people’s projects without informing them.

Regards,

Colin Girling

IMPORTANT NOTICE: This e-mail message is intended to be received only by persons entitled to receive the confidential information it may contain. E-mail messages to clients of Cabot Commuications Ltd may contain information that is confidential and legally privileged. Please do not read, copy, forward, or store this message unless you are an intended recipient of it. If you have received this message in error, please forward it to the sender and delete it completely from your computer system. Cabot Communications Limited is a company registered in England and Wales Registered Office: Unit A Link House, Britton Gardens, Kingswood, Bristol BS15 1TF. Company Registered in England Number 02817269.