Re: [ft-devel] TTC files and all format types of TTF

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] TTC files and all format types of TTF
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2018 17:12:44 +0200 (CEST)

> [...] we do not support the TTC extension at all. Is there a
> resource that explains how to handle this?

It's part of the OpenType standard:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/typography/opentype/spec/otff#font-collections

> Secondly, is there an explanation or blueprint for the different TTF
> formats?  Right now, my system only reads one of the TTF formats (I
> don't remember which one) out of the 7? or 8 available.  Is there a
> resource somewhere that explains the layout of the different format
> options so I can make readers for all of them, or is there some easy
> approach to this?

Are you sure that you are talking about different TTF formats?  Or do
you rather mean different formats based on the SFNT container format?
As an overview you might have a look at FreeType's `formats.txt' file:

  http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/freetype/freetype2.git/tree/docs/formats.txt