Re: [ft-devel] Error Description Strings

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Error Description Strings
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2018 08:28:20 +0200 (CEST)

>>> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/31161284/how-can-i-get-the-corresponding-error-string-from-an-ft-error-code
>>>
>>> is the best solution
>>
>> It is, but the code formatting in the link is extremely ugly and
>> thus hard to read and understand.
>
> What don't you like about the formatting?

Indented cpp lines!  AFAIK, the `#' should always be on the first
line.  I also don't like that the cpp statements are put into the
array, making it more difficult to grasp what's going on.

>>> and/or if I (or someone else) should add a function like `strerror'
>>> to FreeType's API?
>>
>> Not necessary, I believe.
>
> Am I the first (or third) person to request/use that?

IIRC, yes.

> I believe such a function (that minimises boilerplate on FreeType's
> users' end) would be nice when using FreeType in combination with
> loggers since strings are definitely easier to review/debug for
> humans than numbers.  How about a default-no-but-optional-yes-macro
> in `ftoption.h'?

I don't object.  Do you want to provide a patch?  I can imagine to
activate that automatically if tracing is active, doing a call within
the `FT_THROW' macro.