Re: [ft-devel] what FT_Color

From: Jan Alexander Steffens
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] what FT_Color
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2019 11:15:47 +0100

On Mon, Feb 25, 2019 at 4:14 PM Alexei Podtelezhnikov <address@hidden> wrote:
The next FreeType release will introduce FT_Color, which is a big
deal. Currently it represents color as common 32-bit RGBA structure.
What is your opinion about SVG color gradients?

Do we need to consider a more complex color structure with full
description of color gradients?
Or, alternatively, should we reference color gradients by an index
within FT_Color?

I think this feature was added to support COLR/CPAL fonts, which only have flat colors; the only use for gradients would thus be proper SVG. Given the complexity of SVG I don't think it's a good idea to attempt to decompose it into a set of shape layers with gradient descriptions. I think applications would rather consume the SVG directly.