Re: [ft-devel] Some questions about FreeType

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Some questions about FreeType
Date: Fri, 05 Apr 2019 14:04:12 +0200 (CEST)

> 1. FreeType is being used by a billion devices already. How do the
>    maintainers ensure that newer releases are supported on all such
>    devices?  This Wikipedia page:
>    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FreeType claims that even Play
>    Station consoles are using FreeType.  Is testing support for such
>    devices a job of the maintainers or Sony itself?

We don't do many tests.  Given that FreeType is an old project, and
that I insist on very conservative code, I don't expect new problems
with platforms.  However, it would be nice to have better test suites;
this is another GSoC project :-)

> 2. Is there a coding style guide for FreeType development? I see
>    clear patterns in the code base.

Simply follow those patterns.  You get 100 extra points of honour if
you are contributing such a guide :-)

> 3. I was thinking about the issue of hinting with OpenType SVG Color
>    fonts.  The small size at which hinting starts to matter, will
>    there be any point in using SVG Colored fonts at such a small
>    scale?

There is no concept of hinting with SVG fonts, so please ignore that.