Re: [GSoC 2022] Idea on Project "Improve FreeType demo programs"

From: Charlie Jiang
Subject: Re: [GSoC 2022] Idea on Project "Improve FreeType demo programs"
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2022 21:00:55 +0800

Hello Werner and Alexei,

I'm current working on the proposal. However, when I looked into the GSoC 2019 project completed by another student (https://gist.github.com/GeVic/75889ae2728f6dee0a490166ff8e2271), I noticed:

  1. He already finished integrating several other tools including ftdump, ftstring, ftview and ftlint. Therefore I wonder how should I describe my project? It seems that I shouldn't describe it as making the integration from scratch (factually it looks like the work has already been done!).
  2. The code was never merged to master branch.
  3. The code from veeki-gsoc-experimental branch was not compiling. I made some minor fix so it compiles against the latest FreeType2 upstream source.
  4. When I load some large fonts (especially CJK fonts), the performance was sub-optimal. The "All Glyphs" view tooks seconds to load.
  5. For unknown reasons, most CJK characters won't render. Instead, white boxes are rendered.
  6. The overall user experience and GUI logic can be further improved.
  7. The "Multi View" hasn't been implemented yet - what is this?

Additionally, could I submit my current proposal as draft, so you could make some comments for further revising?

Cheers,
Charlie Jiang