Reasonable parameters for reproducing character rendering issues?

From: Craig White
Subject: Reasonable parameters for reproducing character rendering issues?
Date: Thu, 18 May 2023 16:34:55 -0400

I have been told that under auto-hinting mode, sometimes the dot of the i and j merge with the stem.  I used the settings given in the freetype tutorial to test the rendering of these characters, and unsurprisingly, the letters looked just fine.  To reproduce it, I'll probably need to pass in different parameters to FT_Set_Char_Size, but how far should I go?  If I blindly decrease the resolution, I might conclude that all the letters have issues that need correction.
Also, are there any fonts in particular that work well for reproducing this?  I am currently testing with Liberation Sans.

I am ccing Brad because they were previously interested in this project and based on their emails, they were able to reproduce it.