Building a static/standalone binary for ft-demos

From: Anurag Thakur
Subject: Building a static/standalone binary for ft-demos
Date: Tue, 30 May 2023 11:42:46 +0000

Hello,

I am working on integrating FreeType with alternative rendering engines.

I am trying to set-up a development environment on my android phone so that I can test performance for arm64 architecture.

So far, I have successfully compiled and tested FreeType and ft-demos using termux and a debian PRoot[1] environment.

However, I am having some trouble with profiling the code:

Android does not seem to support the "perf" tool, instead there is a "simpleperf" tool as a drop-in replacement.

The problem is that the "simpleperf" binary fails to work in the PRoot environment and must be executed inside an "adb shell". But running ftbench fails in the adb shell environment because of missing libraries, i.e.

Doing:

`./ftbench`

Results in:

`/system/bin/sh: ./ftbench: No such file or directory`

And Doing

`$ ldd freetype-demos/bin/.libs/ftbench`

Reports:

`CANNOT LINK EXECUTABLE "linker64": library "libpng16.so.16" not found: needed by main executable`

From what I understand it is because the libpng library is dynamically linked but isn't available in the environment.

I want to know if there is any way to build these executables statically so that they can work in a standalone manner and not be dependent on the environment.

Regards
Anurag

[1] : https://wiki.termux.com/wiki/PRoot