Future of autotools

From: Hugh McMaster
Subject: Future of autotools
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2023 22:00:01 +1000

I've been preparing an update to the Debian package of FreeType and
realised ftinspect is limited to the meson build system only. Debian,
by default, has always used autotools.

There are three build systems currently available for use in FreeType:
autotools, cmake and meson. As I understand past discussions,
autotools is the default (and fully supported).

If ftinspect and, potentially, other software is not going to be built
via autotools, is there a case to move to another build system?

Hugh