Re: COLRv1 to gray/alpha question (& color-blindness question)

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: COLRv1 to gray/alpha question (& color-blindness question)
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2023 04:54:30 +0000 (UTC)

[leaving 'freetype-devel' in the CC]

>> Let's assume that you can't discern colors A and B, where both map to
>> exactly the same gray value C (or to almost identical values).  If a
>> glyph uses those two colours exclusively, you will have problems with
>> both a colour and a gray-level version of it.
>
> Oh, I see. Yes, I would indeed have trouble using such a font. But
> in that case I’m tempted to blame the designer: if they can’t be
> bothered to account for colourblindness, FreeType can’t do very much
> to compensate for that!
>
> (Unless it can? Maybe there’s scope to allow the user to remap
> colours, or to switch between the two greyscale modes Hin-Tak
> mentioned, in much the same way that they can, say, select hinting
> modes. But I don’t know how feasible this would be.)

Different colour schemes are supported; the question is about
defaults.  For example, let's assume that a font contains color
schemes A and B, the latter suitable for (most) color-blind people.
Let's further assume that scheme A doesn't render well on a grayscale
device because of identical grayscale values.  Does COLRv1 contain any
information to quickly decide which color scheme should be used for
grayscale rendering?