Re: ftbench update: make integrated

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: ftbench update: make integrated
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2023 13:26:50 +0000 (UTC)

> about percentages, i runned the bench with -c 200 to have instant
> results for development process.  here in the benchmark file
> attached, it made more acceptable result when increased the -c flag
> to 2000.

This is much better, thanks!  However, there are still tests which
have a difference of over 10% for the same commit, inspite of having a
very large number of runs.

Increasing the number of iterations is actually a brute-force method –
what are the timings for the new defaults?  The tests must not be too
slow, overwise I could run everything in a virtual machine like
'valgrind' and use just a single iteration...

Apropos timings: Please add some info to the HTML page that tells how
long it takes to test a given font (or perhaps even more detailed
information to tell how long it takes to perform a certain test).

I suggest that you have a look at other statistical tools that do such
sampling, for example google's 'benchmark' project.  In particular,
have a look at its user manual:

  https://github.com/google/benchmark/blob/main/docs/user_guide.md

What caught my attention especially was the warmup-time option: Maybe
it helps if you add an option `--warmup=N` to the benchmark program to
make it ignore the first N iterations before starting the timing.

Maybe there are other things in the user manual (and/or source code)
that you could use to improve the statistical quality of the FreeType
tests.

Other useful information to reduce the variance can be found here;
please do some research of what might be applicable!

  https://github.com/google/benchmark/blob/main/docs/reducing_variance.md

> I changed compiling and the linking process as the demo programs. i
> would like to continue to another build system if it seem ok.

Will test soon.