Re: Introducing myself and the GIMP FreeType project

From: David Turner
Subject: Re: Introducing myself and the GIMP FreeType project
Date: Wed, 03 May 2000 12:32:00 +0200

Hi Sven,

> Hi,
>
> Please excuse that I have choosen to crosspost this announcement to
> address@hidden and address@hidden, but I thought it might be of
> interest to both lists and I wanted to introduce myself shortly.
>
> My name is Sven Neumann and I'm hacking The GIMP for some time now.
> Since font support in The GIMP is miserable, Jens Lautenbacher and
> me decided to develop a plug-in for gimp-1.2 using FreeType2. That
> work might become a tool or a pluggable module later (for gimp-2.0
> most probably). So far we have some proof-of-concept code that you
> can checkout from gnome-cvs as module gimp-freetype. There's also
> a small webpage at http://sven.gimp.org/freetype/.

Thanks a lot for presenting this project. The screenshots are very
nice, indeed. We'll add your page to our "related links" page on
the FreeType web site.

> Right now we are building upon the freetype2-beta5 release and we
> shamelessly link to some code that is only found in the demos
> directory (the smooth renderer). I am curious if that code is going
> into the library soon, since we more or less rely on it. We will not
> release code as a tarball until this is part of the library, so
> right now only a few developers have access to the plug-in.

The smooth renderer went to the core library recently. Grab the
current snap-shots from one of our mirrors. I have not made a
new beta because I expect more changes this week (mainly fixing
the monochrome renderer).

Best Regards,

- David