Re: TeX and FreeType: an impossible match?

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: TeX and FreeType: an impossible match?
Date: Wed, 01 Nov 2000 08:18:58 +0100 (CET)

> first, for text fonts: no matter what charmap i use, some tex
> characters like '{' and '}' will get the wrong index from
> 'FT_Get_Char_Index'.
>
> it gets much worse with math fonts. if i select any ancoding and use
> 'FT_Get_Char_Index', then *all* glyphs will be wrong!!! since there
> is no reliable way to distinguish between a math and a text font
> from a dvi viewer, i really don't know what to do --- if i fix the
> text fonts, the math fonts will probably remain broken. if i fix the
> math fonts, the text fonts will break. argh!

I've taken a look into BaKoMa's CM TrueType fonts: They are using a
fake Unicode character map to make Windows 3.11 accept these fonts --
as pointed out in another mail, you have to translate the character
codes using mapping tables specific to the particular TeX font.  Very
ugly, indeed.  The real problem is for TeX TTFs is that you have to
access glyphs via character codes which is always a problem.