Re: need help! (font width vs. font height)

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: need help! (font width vs. font height)
Date: Sat, 04 Nov 2000 02:15:52 +0100 (CET)

> 1) once i have the font correctly scaled, i need to get "\baselineskip"
>    from it. i tried face->size->metrics.height, but the value doesn't
>    work (it's actually less than ascender-descender). i then used
>    ascender-descender, which seems to work ok. is that right?

I rather suggest to multiply `ascender - descender' by a given value;
for example, TeX uses the factor 1.2 by default.  Otherwise, the lines
are sticking.

> 2) now i have the height for the lines. but i still need the offset
>    from the bottom of the line and the baseline. i tried
>    face->size->metrics.descender, but this value seems to fall short
>    about 2 pixels from the "real" value. the letter "j", for example,
>    extends 2 pixels below the line. (i am using cmtt10 for tests).

I'm not exactly sure what you want, but what about the value

  1.2 * (ascender - descender) - (ascender - descender)

     = 0.2 * (ascender - descender)