[Freetype]SERVER SWITCH - final part (revival !!)

From: David Turner
Subject: [Freetype]SERVER SWITCH - final part (revival !!)
Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2000 11:36:15 +0100

Voila,

  the FreeType server switch is now completed, and you must
  have received an e-mail informing you of your new Mailman
  accounts.

  I invite you to have a look at the following page:

  You'll notice that:

    - we now have online (web) archives of the "freetype" and "devel"
      mailing lists. At last :)

    - there is a new list named "address@hidden", that will be
      used for announcements (like new releases, new project milestones,
      etc..).

    - given that Mailman provides some spam protection on its own,
      I've raised the "member-posting-only" restriction. You don't need
      to be a subscriber to post a message to the list or to view the
      archives

    - similarly, the subscribers list is currently publicly available,
      let me know if this is a problem and I'll reset the restriction
      to "member-only".

Let me know of any problems..

Regards,

- David

PS: For a more technical description of the change that occured:

* what has changed:

  - the old server is still acessible as "cvs.freetype.org", and as
    this name suggests, still handles the CVS repository, as well
    as backup web + ftp services..

  - the web pages have been modified to point to the old server for
    the viewCVS script. This means that this link will also work on
    the SourceForge mirror..

* what hasn't changed:

  - the directory hierarchy of the ftp service hasn't changed.
    the rsync service hasn't changed, which means that mirrors
    should have no problems due to the transition.

  - the web pages are still stored in a CVS repository, and can be
    updated automatically on all servers by sending an e-mail to
    "address@hidden"

  - every change in a CVS repository is logged and sent to the
    "address@hidden" mailing list. the latter is not archived
    given that we have a commit log on the CVS server too..

  - the content of the ftp servers is updated automatically by a
    cron script every night at 20:00 GMT

  - we need to update the web pages for the 2.0 release _today_ :-)
    as well as to indicate the new mailing list manager