Re: [Freetype] I need help!

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Freetype] I need help!
Date: Sat, 03 Feb 2001 10:33:05 +0100 (CET)

> Even better, convert the FreeType build environment to use GNU
> Automake (as it should) so that it builds without a special make
> program.

I invite you to do that.  I don't have time.  BTW, he was talking
about FT 1.x which comes with a standard configure script, and the
normal incantation `./configure; make; make install' works as expected
-- IMHO, it's extremely annoying that BSD make programs don't allow
nested variables.

It's impossible to satisfy all tools.

> The build environment for FreeType is most peculiar.  It takes some
> analysis to figure out how to install in a place other than
> /usr/local.  It is not clear why the decision was made to not
> conform to common conventions.

[I assume that you are talking about FT 2.]

The reason was platform independency.  Other libraries need a lot of
other tools.  We just ask for GNU make and an ANSI C compiler.  Is
that too much?  And we document exactly how to avoid GNU make if
really necessary.

For UNIX, it comes with a configure script.  I really expect people to
look into the top INSTALL file.  And, heureka, look at line 28 where
an example is given how to adjust the installation prefix.

Where's the problem?