[Freetype] Microsoft has won its first ClearType patent. Another 20 are

From: Miles Lane
Subject: [Freetype] Microsoft has won its first ClearType patent. Another 20 are pending. What can we do to improve readability of text?
Date: 17 May 2001 15:49:55 -0700

My wife receives the MIT Technology Review
(http://www.technologyreview.com).  In this month's issue, there's an
article entitled "Pixel Perfect" mentioning Microsoft ClearType patents.
The article contains no technical details, but it got me wondering what
we can do to further improve the legibility of anti-aliased text.

BTW, I'm sure this has been discussed already on these lists, I was just
wondering if someone might be willing to summarize where we stand.

Thanks,
        Miles