Re[2]: [Freetype] truetype embeded bitmaps

From: Peter Sakhno
Subject: Re[2]: [Freetype] truetype embeded bitmaps
Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 12:48:54 +0400

Hello Werner,

WL> FreeType supports embedded bitmaps.
FreeType works perfectly, the problem is in SBT32 i suppose.

WL> Please send a small example so that we can see what's going on.
Here is what i discovered after hard investigation tomorrow.

 We use SBIT32 utility with fonts that have glyphs with negative values
for origin in metrics. SBIT32 puts wrong values to the EBDT in that
case. See what happens when value of off_x in *.BDF file is negative:

in BDF:
BBX W H off_x off_y, where W and H - width and height of bitmap,
                     off_x and off_y - distance of lower left corner
                     from origin.
1)
in *.BDF
   BBX 9 4 -4 6
             ^^^
in *.ttf (from ttfdump)
   Glyph    26  Metrics:  H:04 W:09 X:fc Y:00 A:05 (BearingY==0,
                                         ^^^^       should be 10)
2)
in *.BDF
   BBX 9 4 -4 25 (change to randome value)
              ^^
in *.ttf (from ttfdump)
   Glyph    26  Metrics:  H:04 W:09 X:fc Y:00 A:05 (nothing changed)
                                         ^^^^
3)
in *.BDF
   BBX 9 4 4 6 (change off_x to positive value)
          ^^^
in *.ttf (from ttfdump)
   Glyph    26  Metrics:  H:04 W:09 X:04 Y:0a A:05 (BearingY==10
                                         ^^^^       it is wright value)

It seems that SBIT32 ignores value of off_y in BBX when off_x is
negative and works well otherwise.

I wrote a message to Microsoft Typography but have no response yet.

I am afraid this topic is not for this list but, who knows, may be
someone can give me an advice.

Thank you.
Best regards,
 Peter Sakhno                          mailto:address@hidden