[Freetype] TrueType Font implementation query

From: Sam Chapman
Subject: [Freetype] TrueType Font implementation query
Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 08:57:07 +0100

I'm somewhat confused by the documentation of the TrueTypeFont 'glyf' table.
If anyone out there can help clear up my lack of understanding it would be
appreciated.

THE PROBLEM

The glyf table headers, (offset by the 'loca' table), are clear enough the
confusion I have is with the Glyph description.

Simple cases are defined as so.

Type                    Name
USHORT          endPtsOfContours[n] n is the number of contours.
USHORT          instructionLength
BYTE                    instructions[n]         n is the number of
instructions.
BYTE                    flags[n]                n is the number of flags.
BYTE or SHORT   xCoordinates[ ]
BYTE or SHORT   yCoordinates[ ]

Knowing the number of contours it is possible to size and extract the first
and second components. This then allows the instructions themselves to be
loaded. The number of flags is currently unknown to me (so where do I get
this value?). Also I'm unsure of how the instructions are used as the flags
and co-ords clearly contain the contour info. This is either omitted or
obscure within the truetype spec.

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Sam Chapman

Sam Chapman