Re: [Freetype] Font Editors?

From: Pierre HANSER
Subject: Re: [Freetype] Font Editors?
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2001 08:35:54 +0200

hello

Antoine Leca wrote:

> You are not subscribing to the right list (Freetype is a library, and it
> has nothing to do with font development).

ok, but may I coin a follow-up nevertheless

> If you _really_ want to use OpenSource tools (why?), then the only
> path to a possible solution would be FontTools from Just van Rossum,
> this is a Python-based package that translate .ttf files into text
> (source) representation of them, and vice-versa. Using it, you are
> free to built a complete font for Devanagari, even it will be quite
> a hard job (I use this tool quite a lot to develop a Gurmukhi font, so
> yes it is possible;

I didn' intended publishing so early, but as the topic comes out, I'm
on the way to publish a plugin which allows Sketch vector editor to
be used as a front end to FontTools to create mainly symbol fonts.

Why symbol fonts: because the math are NOT ok: I DO NOT convert between
postscript and true-type spline descriptions. So outlines are not
perfect.
But you may find they are good enough...

Work is on the way at http://perso.club-internet.fr/hanser/symFonter

--
        Pierre Hanser