[Freetype] How do I tell if a font supports a given Unicode set of chara

From: Pedriana, Paul
Subject: [Freetype] How do I tell if a font supports a given Unicode set of character s?
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2001 20:12:48 -0700

Given a font, I want to know if it will be able to draw
(e.g.) Cyrillic characters with it. I can't know ahead of
time exactly what characters will be needed, but I do
have some confidence that if the font has most of the
common characters for one language, it is going to
be good enough for me to use.

Is there a machanism within Freetype to help out telling
what character sets a font supports? Or do I just pick
some representative characters and call FT_Get_Char_Index
and check the return value?

Unrelated question: How do you tell from a C program what
the code page is of the input? If I write a program and start
receiving characters (multi-byte in particular), I want to know
what code page they are so I can convert them to Unicode
and get on with processing. Microsoft's VC++ has a function
called _getmbcp (in mbctype.h) that does this, but I don't
thing this exists on other platforms.

Thanks