Re: [Freetype] Where are there man/info pages?

From: Alex Miller
Subject: Re: [Freetype] Where are there man/info pages?
Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2001 12:13:28 -0400

On Friday 06 July 2001 06:15, you wrote:
> > However, I can't find any man pages or info pages for freetype,
> > FreeType, freetype2, FreeType2.
>
> There never will be, I think.  FreeType is a library which has no
> visible interface to an end user.

Man pages don't always describe a visible interface. They may
just describe a library or term of art, and refer to other applications.

For, example, man ascii or info ascii will bring up docs on the
ascii table, and man unicode or info unicode will bring up docs
on unicode. Each of them have "see also" sections. Neither
ASCII or unicode have a visible interface to an end user.

However, upon further examination of the freetype debian
packages installed on my linux system, there are two packages
freetype-tools, and freetype-demos, which contain tests
and demonstration programs of freetypes capabilities.

Presumably they have a visible interface to an end user
and by that standard should have man pages or info pages
but I don't know what the names of those demonstration or
test programs are to find the man pages or info pages. I only
know that the packages containing them exist.

If there were a man page on freetype, a list of the available
demonstration programs and test programs would be a good
thing to include.

> > I looked through the website, and it had a lot of good information
> > about what freetype2 does, but I couldn't find an answer that I was
> > hoping to find in the man or info pages.
> >
> > 1) What directories do you add fonts in Linux?
> >
> > 2) Where are there configuration files?
> >
> > 3) Is there a font installer, that is, a program to alert freetype2
> > that new font files have been placed in a directory?
> >
> > 4) In general, where is the freetype documentation stored, man
> > pages? info pages? how-tos?
>
> Is it possible that you are talking about Xft, the X font server, or
> another related application?

No, I'm talking about freetype which I found from the website
www.freetype.org

However, your information is useful. On Linux, presumably,
the X font server, gets fonts from somewhere.

Either Xft can operate and deliver fonts to the display without freetype.

or

Removing the installed freetype package will impact the behavior of
Xft.

> FreeType isn't related to Linux.

Well, it's no more related to Linux than any other
library installed on Linux.

> It has no configuration files.
>
> It isn't a font installer.

>From reading the website, www.freetype.org I realize
that freetype is a library, not a font installer. That's
why my third question is:
3) Is there a font installer, that is, a program to alert freetype2
that new font files have been placed in a directory?

That is, having read the website, www.freetype.org, and seeing
that freetype is not a font installer, my question was, is there one
somewhere?

> The documentation is available from www.freetype.org.

That is where I started and what I meant by "the website"
and that is where I signed up for this list.

>     Werner

Thank you,

Alex Miller