Re: [Freetype] How to get Freetype to draw fonts as well as Windows?

From: Vadim Plessky
Subject: Re: [Freetype] How to get Freetype to draw fonts as well as Windows?
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2001 15:30:33 +0000

On Thursday 13 September 2001 09:28, David Turner wrote:
[...]
|   > Below are some examples with Arial, though Freetype has problems with
|   > other fonts as well. In each case below there is some glitch that is
|   > pointed out that Windows doesn't do. The demos below are with Windows'
|   > Arial, but I have similar kinds of problems with other fonts. Usually
|   > the problem is too many pixels being set (all three cases below). Funny
|   > enough, these problems didn't happen with the old Beta 2.0 version of
|   > Freetype.
|   >
|   > Any explanations or help? How can I get it to work properly like the
|   > old FreeType 2 Beta worked?
|
|   For some reason, your GIF images seem to be broken. Could you send them
| to me privately (possibly within a Zip file or something similar).
|
|   I have no explanation yet. We'll need to recompile the old betas and do
| some pretty dirty work to find the reasons.. this could come from different
| fixed-point routines to some change we've made to the TrueType interpreter.
|
|   I must admit I don't have the TT interpreter enabled in most builds I
| do..

David,

Do you use PS fonts instead of TT?
I am asking as I found FT2 without TT interpreter almost unusable (for
TrueType fonts)
Does support for native PS T1 hint works now (in current snapshot)?

P.S. Paul, can you pls send me your screenshots (zip'ed) as well.
Pls send them to my <address@hidden> address.
I'd like to investigate them.

P.P.S. Paul, you may want to search FT arhive for my msg with subject "Arial
ttf - bad rendering of some glyphs" (dated 12.0.7.2001)
Do you see similar problem, or it's different?

--

Vadim Plessky
http://kde2.newmail.ru  (English)