Re: [Freetype] Freetype fonts not drawn as well as Windows...

From: Giuliano Pochini
Subject: Re: [Freetype] Freetype fonts not drawn as well as Windows...
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2001 15:28:24 +0200 (CEST)

>> http://ppedriana.homeip.net/Misc/Arial7HintAA.gif
>>
> Well, this is normal and caused by the fact that this font
> is not hinted for anti-aliased display (at this small pixel
> size, Windows does not display AA text, but monochrome one)
>
> the old betas of FT2 had a different anti-aliasing algorithm
> that happened to produce better results for certain cases like
> this one. Unfortunately, it also gave rather unpleasant results
> with a lot more other glyphs, which is why it has been replaced
> with the new renderer..

The anti-aliasing algorithm gets in input the closed paths and
draws each pixel in the dest bitmat according to the coverage. So,
regardless to which algorithm is used, the result should be the
same in all cases. Otherwise I think there's something wrong.

Oh, I still have that problem with very thin AA polygons... I want
to try to find tha cause, but I need some help. Where can I find
a doc that briefly explain how the AA algorithm works ?

Bye.
    Giuliano Pochini ->)|(<- Shiny Network {AS6665} ->)|(<-