[Freetype] True type and embedded environment

From: Nir Rostoker
Subject: [Freetype] True type and embedded environment
Date: Sun, 3 Mar 2002 11:33:32 +0200

Hi !
 I would like to have true type fonts on an embedded environment, moreover,
I want to use it both for Asian languages and western languages (as far as I
know TTF files of Asian fonts are quite big - around 0.5M or more).
The main problem for me is that I need to run on very low RAM memory (but I
have enough ROM ....) Does anyone worked with TTF on an embedded environment
? Does anyone can recommend what should I use so I could use true type font
with very low RAM memory consumption (around 5k-10k ....).
Does anyone tried to work with TrueType under low RAM (but with normal ROM
size....) ?
Can you give me some tips on what exactly can I save on the ROM and what is
essential to be on the RAM ? Should I try to split given objects (like the
face object) into changeable (during run time assuming we use the same font
but with different sizes) data - to be in the RAM and non-changeable data
-to be in the ROM ? Should it be quite problematic ?

Thanks,
Nir