Re: [Freetype] blue_chars

From: David Turner
Subject: Re: [Freetype] blue_chars
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 14:41:24 +0200

Hi again,

Nir Rostoker a écrit :

> Hi !
> Does anyone try ,each time on the Load_Glyph function, to avoid the loading
> of the "blue_chars", which I think on an embedded environment, might slow
> the rendering process severely, since for each glyph we want to load we need
> to load 35 extra glyphs.
>
> Did anyone stop using this and did something else instead ? did it saved a
> lot of rendering time ? RAM space ?
> what would be the affect of not using the top/bottom point of those glyphs ?

These "blue chars" are loaded each time FT_New_Face or FT_Open_Face is called.
If you're seeing them called on each FT_Load_Glyph, there is a serious bug
within FT2 that I'd like to fix quickly !

These characters are loaded to compute global values that are simply essential
to the auto-hinter. One way to reduce this payload would be to be able to store
the computed global data outside of the engine, and pass-it back to the
FT_Open_Face with an additional parameter.

This however, isn't a trivial API change that I'm willing to experiment
right now (the internals already support something like that, but it's
selecting the hooks to provide to applications that is difficult to do
correctly..)

Regards,

- David Turner
- The FreeType Project