[Freetype] Re: [Pfaedit-devel] Problem with rendering of OpenType (from

From: Vadim Plessky
Subject: [Freetype] Re: [Pfaedit-devel] Problem with rendering of OpenType (from PfaEdit) fonts in FreeType
Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2002 17:14:08 +0400

On Friday 23 August 2002 7:47 pm, George Williams wrote:
|  At 04:09 PM 8/22/2002 +0400, Vadim Plessky wrote:
|  >I found that the same font exported from PfaEdit to PostScript Type1
|  > (.pfb) and OpenType (.otf) formats, renders differently by FreeType.
|  >(tested: FT 2.1.1, 2.0.9)
|
|  I have looked carefully at the hints in the otf and pfb files and as far
| as I can tell they are exactly the same (as I think they should be). The
| character "O" is fairly easy to check, it has only four hints and they do
| not overlap.

I think I have found one of the possible reasons for this effect.
Please check letter B of Nimbus Sans (I have imported Nimbus Sans into
FontLab4 and invoked FontAudit)
http://freetype.newmail.ru/misc/opentype-curve-replace.png

It said: "Flat curve. The curve is flat and can be replaced by a vector
without any loss of quality"

At the same time, when I imported TrueType version of same font (Nimbus Sans),
there was no such problem / error:
http://freetype.newmail.ru/misc/opentype-curve-replace-TTF.png

(it said to replace last vector with 'closepath' instruction, but ot's already
different story)

So it seems that *easy fix* would be to check in PfaEdit during export wether
some lines are represented with curves, and replace them with vector.
And to check wether PfaEdit generates such curves (instead of vectors) for
OpenType format (as TTF fonts seems to be ok)

On the other hand, in terms of PostScript interpreter, "flat curve" should not
cause such effect. So FreeType needs to be fixed somewhere, too.