[Freetype] How do I tell if a PostScript (.pfb) file is bold or italic?

From: Pedriana, Paul
Subject: [Freetype] How do I tell if a PostScript (.pfb) file is bold or italic?
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2002 17:01:03 -0700

I load a certain .pfb file with FT_New_Face and it loads fine.
The face->style_flags for the face is 0  (no bold, italic).
The face->style_name for the face is "Bold".
Why don't the style_flags reflect this boldness?
After loading the face with FT_New_Face I am calling FT_Attach_File on
the face with the associated .afm file and it has no effect on this. Neither
does calling FT_Attach_File with the .pfm file for the font.

So is the only way to tell if a PostScript font is bold is to ignore the
style_flags field and go with the style_name field?