[Freetype] Outline vertices

From: Braden McDaniel
Subject: [Freetype] Outline vertices
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 02:48:57 -0500

I'm having some trouble understanding the nature of FreeType's outline
vertices. I get an outline for a 'K' in "Luxi Sans" (keeping it simple
at the moment--no curves). I call FT_Outline_Decompose and my moveTo and
lineTo functions are called, and I get a contour consisting of these
points:

    [0, 0]
    [64, 0]
    [64, 32]
    [64, 0]
    [64, 0]
    [64, 33]
    [64, 64]
    [64, 64]
    [64, 32]
    [64, 64]
    [0, 64]
    [0, 0]

Now, I appreciate from reading the documentation that I will need to
rescale the vertices I get from FreeType. But if I draw this contour on
a piece of paper, I don't wind up with anything resembling a 'K'. (I do
note that there are 12 points in the contour, which makes sense.)

An 'I' gives me:

    [0, 0]
    [64, 0]
    [64, 64]
    [0, 64]
    [0, 0]

A square. Okay, that could be rescaled to be a tall thin rectangle. But
then an 'i' gives me:

    [0, 0]
    [64, 0]
    [64, 64]
    [0, 64]
    [0, 0]

    [0, 0]
    [64, 0]
    [64, 64]
    [0, 64]
    [0, 0]

Two contours, as expected; but it's the same square twice.

Clearly I'm missing something. But I've spent a while looking at the
documentation and I haven't been able to figure it out yet. So I'd
*really* appreciate a pointer.

--
Braden McDaniel                           e-mail: <address@hidden>
<http://endoframe.com>                    Jabber: <address@hidden>