[Freetype] Light text on dark background

From: spiffgq
Subject: [Freetype] Light text on dark background
Date: Sat, 08 Feb 2003 12:49:10 -0700

I’m writing a program that uses Freetype2 for font loading. The problem is thin fonts (for example, arial.ttf and cour.ttf at 12 point) do not look good when rendered as light colored text on a dark background. The characters look smudged or half-erased. Does any one have any good ideas on how to prevent this? I think it may be caused by the anti-aliasing of the glyphs, but I don’t know how to turn off the anti-aliasing to test if that is the case. Any ideas? Thanks for your help. Daniel Royer