Re: [Freetype] how to find the actual font name from windows

From: Peter Montgomery
Subject: Re: [Freetype] how to find the actual font name from windows
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 11:04:55 -0800

Daniel,

In an app I wrote, I needed to provide a list of human readable font
names to the user and get the corresponding TTF filenames.  I don't know
how anyone else does this, but here are the steps I needed to do:

1: Determine what platform the program is running on.  This is done with
a call to "GetVersionEx( )" and checking the value of the "dwPlatformId"
member.

2: Build a string that points to the registry entry.  This path will be
"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\" + the windows platform +
"\CurrentVersion\Fonts\".  You need to use the information of what
platform you are running on to construct the part of the path that says
"the windows platform".  In the case of Window 95, 98, 98ME, 98,SE, you
just use "Windows".  In the case of Windows NT, 2000, XP(?), you use
"WindowsNT".

3: Open the registry and enumerate all the names.  That is the human
readable part.  For each name, there is a data entry which is the font
filename.  If you are displaying the human readable names, you'll
probably want to remove the "(TrueType)" part of the string which is on
every name.  If you open RegEdit, you can look at this key and see what
I am talking about.

4: You need to find the path where Windows stores the fonts.  This is
done with a call to "SHGetSpecialFolderLocation( ), where the call will
look something like this:

PItemIDList PIDL;

SHGetSpecialFolderLocation(Application.Handle, CSIDL_FONTS, PIDL);

In this case, the 1st parameter is you application main handle, the
second is a constant defined in the Windows headers telling it what path
you're looking for, and the last is a pointer that will carry the return
value.  Here's a code snippet in Delphi from my application.  Note that
you have to free some memory when you're done:

  Path := StrAlloc(MAX_PATH);
  SHGetSpecialFolderLocation(Application.Handle, CSIDL_FONTS, PIDL);
  if SHGetPathFromIDList(PIDL, Path) then
    CurrWindowsFontPath := Path;
  SHGetMalloc(AMalloc);
  AMalloc.Free(PIDL);
  StrDispose(Path);

  // Make sure the path has a trailing directory separator
  CurrWindowsFontPath :=
IncludeTrailingPathDelimiter(CurrWindowsFontPath);

5: At this point, you now have the path and a list of all the font names
in both human readable and TTF file form.  You can then build the string
to open any font file you want if you know the name of it.

    Thanks,
    PeterM