Re: [Freetype] render greek characters

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Freetype] render greek characters
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 07:06:25 +0200 (CEST)

> I am trying to render greek text on top of a bitmap.  I use standard
> arial.ttf of windows2000 (I tried other fonts also), which from what
> I know contains the greek glyphs.  Unfortunately I can only render
> latin characters and any greek ones come up as a white square.  I
> tried setting a lot of different combinations of charmaps/encodings
> in FT, but still there doesn't seem to be any proper outcome from
> those changes.

Hmm, trying with

  ftview -e unic 20 arial.ttf

from the ft2demos package and moving up to character code 0x384 I can
see Greek glyphs.  With other words, selecting the Unicode charmap and
using input codes of 0x384 you get what you want.  Apparently you are
doing something wrong.

> Right now everything is hardcoded, so there is no possibility for
> the user to select the font, and also set the script, which seems to
> be what needs to be done.  Is that the problem?  If so is there a
> way to do this programmatically?

It looks as if you are describing problems with a certain program.
Which one?

    Werner

PS: Note that in my arial.ttf version (from 2000), kern pairs are not
    in a `kern' table but in the GPOS table.  The logical consequence
    is that newer arial.ttf versions have a similar layout.  GPOS is
    not supported by FreeType directly; you have to use Pango, Qt, or
    ICU to access it (or you parse the GPOS table directly).