[Freetype] Transformation Matrix has no effect of SFNT embedded bitmaps

From: Farhad Khalafi
Subject: [Freetype] Transformation Matrix has no effect of SFNT embedded bitmaps
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 11:29:17 -0600

When TT_CONFIG_OPTION_EMBEDDED_BITMAPS is selected and a rotation matrix
is defined using FT_Set_Transform() function, for certain font sizes,
the matrix is ignored.

My understanding is that if an embedded SFNT bitmap is found, then it is
used in TT_Load_Glyph(). The outline array is then empty and
transformation is not applied. I used MSGothic.TTC with glyph index of
14818 for my test.

If I comment out TT_CONFIG_OPTION_EMBEDDED_BITMAPS in the option file,
then the problem is resolved at all font sizes.

My question is:

What are the implications of disabling the embedded bitmaps? Are there
always outline-based alternatives to the bitmaps, or is this going to
restrict supporting of certain font files?

I use the latest released version (2.1.9) of FreeType library.

Any clarification will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Farhad