[Freetype] Problem with spacing of postscript font

From: Viraj Alankar
Subject: [Freetype] Problem with spacing of postscript font
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 15:56:12 -0500

Hello,

I recently moved from Red Hat 8 to Fedora Core 3. In RH8, we used a
Postscript font that we converted originally from a Windows Adobe
font. I am not too familiar with the different font terminology, but
basically we had files such as:

RU______.PFB
RU______.PFM

And I converted them with the procedure:

mv RU______.PFB RussellSquare.pfb
mv RU______.PFM RussellSquare.pfm
pf2afm RussellSquare
mkdir /usr/local/myfonts
cp RussellSquare.pfb /usr/local/myfonts
cp RussellSquare.afm /usr/local/myfonts

I then created a fonts.dir and fonts.scale with the following contents
(made up name):
1
RussellSquare.pfb -adobe-russell-medium-r-normal--0-0-0-0-m-0-iso8859-1

chkfontpath --add /usr/local/myfonts

This all worked fine in Red Hat 8 and I could view the font fine in
xfontsel and it works with our application (written in TCL). However,
in Fedora Core 3, I get wierd spacing between the characters. Here is
a sample screenshot:

http://store.z-kat.com/~valankar/freetype/snapshot1.png

The following is a screenshot of how it should generally look:

http://store.z-kat.com/~valankar/freetype/snapshot2.png

Though there are other problems with the seconds screenshot. I
essentially had to comment out 'Load "freetype"' from my xorg.conf and
list it in the X server font path to get the 2nd screenshot.

Anyhow, I cannot figure out what is going on. Anyone have ideas? I can
provide the original fonts via email if necessary.

Thanks,

Viraj.