Re: [ft] Thick contours

From: Leonard Rosenthol
Subject: Re: [ft] Thick contours
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 10:53:56 -0500

At 10:33 AM 3/30/2005, Adam D. Moss wrote:
I don't think that'd help in this case... I believe Laurent wants
a font-with-an-outline, not the outline of the font

        What's the difference?

A glyph is a shape that can either be filled (or the normal operation for FT), stroked (what Laurent appears to be trying to achieve) or both.

(not to mention that I'm quite dubious that looping through the same
trivial rasterization code five times [applying it in hardware,
even] is 'a LOT of work' compared with tesselating a vector font
outline into GL primitives and then taking a second different pass
for a thickened outline including mitres etc).

I agree - which is why you can skip the multiple rasterization & blitting - and JUST go with vector outlines.

But being able to extract the vector outline information for a font
sounds pretty useful in general.  Which part of the FT docs cover
this?

        FT_Outline_Decompose()

Leonard

Leonard Rosenthol                            <mailto:address@hidden>
Chief Technical Officer                      <http://www.pdfsages.com>
PDF Sages, Inc.                              215-938-7080 (voice)
                                             215-938-0880 (fax)