RE: [ft] Internal cache questions

From: Alex
Subject: RE: [ft] Internal cache questions
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2005 01:15:22 -0300 (ART)

--- "Turner, David" <address@hidden> escreveu:

"Hello, I only had a very quick look at your code, but
it seems that you're simply implementing a "glyph
container" rather than a cache. I.e. you store one
full FT_Face per font object, and keep all loaded
glyph bitmaps in memory until the object is
discarded."
=> By the way, I release the face just after creating
the textures required to render text. So, everything
is discarded except for the OpenGL textures (display
lists). Then, for some text object on my application
to write something, it only needs the display list id
(unsigned int)...

"In other words, your code is probably fast, but
certainly uses a lot of memory when using many fonts
at the same time."
=> Agreed. 10 different fonts with the same size OR 10
identical fonts with different sizes means 10*256=2560
display lists (sure its a lot). My goal is: given
different sizes of the same font, get some FT_Face
cache hits to speedup the font building stage.

"The cache subsystem is a completely optional
component. You don't need to use it, and you can use
it in parallel with wathever code you want."
=> If it can be faster, why not? :) I'm really
interested on improving my code since it will be used
in all of my projects (a GUI system, some little games
etc.)

Thanks again! (and hope I made it clearer now)   :)

Yahoo! Mail, cada vez melhor: agora com 1GB de espaço grátis!
http://mail.yahoo.com.br