Re: [ft] scalable font metrics, ascent/descent/height, metrics struct

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft] scalable font metrics, ascent/descent/height, metrics struct
Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2005 19:31:36 +0200 (CEST)

> Is it fair to say that, neither FreeType nor tables in OpenFont
> specfication could give me accurate font metrics?

If you talk about global metrics values, the answer is yes, more or
less.

> And the only way to achieve this is to iterate the font file and
> compute them glyph-by-glyph?

In case you need to render a glyph string to, say, a box, and you want
to get exact values affected by hinting and scaling, the answer is
again yes.

> And where in the code do the metrics in FT_Face and FT_Size_Metrics
> get computed?

For single glyphs it is done in FT_Load_Glyph (which in turn calls a
driver-specific function to really load the glyph); for global metrics
it is done in FT_New_Face and FT_Set_Char_Size/FT_Set_Pixel_Sizes
(again calling driver-specific functions).