[ft] losing data when fonts scaled (east asian characters)

From: Aaron Brady
Subject: [ft] losing data when fonts scaled (east asian characters)
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2005 18:10:05 -0700

Hello,

This is a follow-up to my earlier email. When I scale characters to a
certain size I've observed that freetype appears to lose the horizontal
strokes of the east asian characters, but that the character itself is
pretty close to the expected asian character.

Also, the scales at which this seem to happen correspond to odd sizes of
the font, i.e. when a size 12 font is scaled to 1.3 or so it begins to
look different.

I'm wondering if freetype renders at size 14, and then scales down the
character, possibly aliasing away the thin strokes of the characters.

Does this make sense to anyone?

Thanks for your time.

Best Regards,
Aaron Brady