RE: [ft] autohinter is still bad for monochrome rendering... :(

From: Turner, David
Subject: RE: [ft] autohinter is still bad for monochrome rendering... :(
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2005 15:08:53 +0200

Hi Again,

> Why is that still not fixed yet? Those quotes came
> from the FreeType January 2003 mailing list archives,
> and the newest version of the FreeType auto-hinting is
> still bad for monochrome rendering...

Because it's a *really* hard problem with no simple nor
perfect solution, and also because none of us has found the
time and the energy to experiment with new algorithms.

Personally, my free time has faded to almost zero since I'm
now the happy father of two lovely girls. So don't hope anything
from me.

And it's not like a lot of people complain about this, since
AA text is now so popular and pretty.

Feel free to contribute however, we'd welcome your improvements.

Regards,

- David Turner