RE: [ft] Bytecode enabled rendering

From: Ian Brown
Subject: RE: [ft] Bytecode enabled rendering
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 14:02:07 +0100

David, I'm not sure that your arguments below are valid. From what I can
divine, ClearType and Avalon are only concerned with sub-pixel rendering
and anti-aliasing. The original issue, however, is about non-aliased
rendering ... i.e. monochrome rendering.
When using freetype to render bitmaps for printing, the discrepancy with
the Microsoft output can be problematic.

Snip from the original post:
> >>I am experiencing problems with aliasing-disabled rendering, and if
> >>you look at Kaya's screenshot (my system, and any other will
> >>probably do, shows just the same behaviour)

So.... making changes to optionally implement the 'broken' Microsoft
rounding implementation should not infringe any more patents than are
currently infringed when byte code processing is enabled. The problem is
figuring out what the MS processor is actually doing. Granted this is no
easy task - but I don't see how the clear-type patents are involved.

Ian