[ft] Hinting and patents

From: Ric Flinn
Subject: [ft] Hinting and patents
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 10:18:31 -0700 (PDT)

As I understand it, hinting is patented by Apple and
many font venders pay royalties to use Apple's hinting
techniques. In FreeType I see references to
UNPATENTED_HINTING, but I'm not exactly sure what this
means, or what the implications are if I define or
undefine this build option.

I'd like to better understand this issue, and I'd like
to be sure that I'm not including any code that may
cause patent issues in my finished products. I don't
need to use hinting in my application, so removing
hinting capability altogether is desired. I'm using
FreeType 2.1.10.

Ric Flinn