[ft] Type 1 font rendering seems wrong.

From: Tim Hutt
Subject: [ft] Type 1 font rendering seems wrong.
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2007 21:57:45 +0000

Hi, I'm writing a program that produces PDFs, and depends on exact font
metrics (it must be able to expand a piece of text to touch the sides of a
box exactly).

To avoid having to embed fonts in the PDF (a complicated process), I'm using
one of the base fonts (Helvetica).

Adobe reader actually uses Adobe Sans MM to render the font. I'm pretty sure
it has the same metrics as Helvetica. The trouble is, freetype seems to load
it incorrectly. This is especially obvious in the lowercase t.

I've attached an image showing adobe sans mm rendered by freetype, and by
adobe reader. XPDF produces output similar to adobe readers - I presume it
uses t1lib for this. Note the different t widths. I'm sure there are other
difference but they aren't obvious to my eyes.

An additional question: the PDF spec isn't very clear on text sizing, but says
the 'size' you give it is the distance in points between 'tightly spaced'
lines of text. Anyone with PDF knowledge know which freetype quantity this
corresponds to?

Thanks

-Tim