Re: [ft] differing advances

From: David Turner
Subject: Re: [ft] differing advances
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 17:13:29 +0100

Hello Ryan,

the behvaiour you're seeing is perfectly normal.
The advance stored in a FT_Glyph image is a 16.16 number,
unlike the one returned by FT_Load_Glyph, which is 26.6

this is intentional, since it allows you to get a much
larger accuracy when FT_Glyph_Transform is called, since
this function also transforms the 16.16 advance vector.

see the FT_GlyphRec documentation:

http://www.freetype.org/freetype2/docs/reference/ft2-glyph_management.html#FT_GlyphRec
http://www.freetype.org/freetype2/docs/reference/ft2-glyph_management.html#FT_Glyph_Transform

Hope this helps,