[ft] lsb/rsb_delta and vertical text (again)

From: Brady Duga
Subject: [ft] lsb/rsb_delta and vertical text (again)
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2007 15:08:38 -0700

Hello again!

I am still trying to work out some issues with glyph spacing and vertical fonts. I have implemented the lsb/rsb_deltas for horizontal text and that seems to be working fine. The issue I am now having is with some Japanese fonts that are intended to be drawn vertically with very little space between the glyphs. Essentially, the spacing is really bad :( In some cases glyphs actually touch each other. However, if I render with FT_LOAD_NO_HINTING then the spacing is fine. I have some sample images here: http://www.ljug.com/ vertsamples.html

Specifically, note the text in red boxes for both the hinted and unhinted versions. Since the hinting seems to matter, I was wondering if this is just another case of rounding during auto-hinting causing problems and if it can be solved with something analogous to lsb/ rsb_delta corrections. I made a feeble attempt to add tsb/bsb_delta values to my local copy of FreeType, but it didn't seem to make a difference. Of course, it is extremely likely I simply failed to implement it properly. Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix the spacing? Am I correct about the auto-hinting, or way off the mark? Is this even the right mailing list to send this to? Help!

--Brady "No Space" Duga