Re: [ft] lsb/rsb_delta and vertical text (again)

From: Brady Duga
Subject: Re: [ft] lsb/rsb_delta and vertical text (again)
Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 13:38:25 -0700

On May 9, 2007, at 9:42 PM, Werner LEMBERG wrote:

This can easily be decided by using a higher resolution; then you'll
clearly see whether there is some overlapping or not.

I'm pretty sure it doesn't overlap in the unhinted case, but does in the hinted case. The text is copied in 'or' mode, so the following character wouldn't set any part of the previous one to white. You would just get overlapping text. I will play some more with potential tsb/bsb_delta, and look at supplying a patch for that.

Interesting.  You might analyze it with the ttx disassembler (from
fonttools.sf.net) and/or checking it with FontForge.

I have looked at it in FontForge and it looks like the vertical advances are not properly set (they look like values I would expect for a normal, full-height font). The owner of the font has said they think there are problems with its metrics. Apparently, it is used with some custom DTP app which just does the right thing (not sure how it knows what the right thing is, but I suspect hackery).

--Brady