Re: [ft] Problem loading OT tables in new Microsoft Sans Serif

From: mpsuzuki
Subject: Re: [ft] Problem loading OT tables in new Microsoft Sans Serif
Date: Sat, 1 Sep 2007 01:08:45 +0900

Hi,

On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 10:28:52 -0500
Dave Williss <address@hidden> wrote:
>Has anybody else reported problems with this font?
>or is it an error in the older Freetype?

I remember, at least after Windows Vista was shipped,
nobody reported any bugs in OT routines in FreeType 1.3.

I guess, most of applications using OT routines in
FreeType 1.3 is too complex to distinguish the strange
behaviour is bug by the application itself or by
FreeType 1.3. Do you have any sample program to reproduce
the bug you found?

>I'm stuck at Freetype 1.3 because we can't afford the time to switch
>from using the OpenType layout routines in Freetype 1.3 to using
>something like Pango or ICU.

I can understand, but I recommend you to reconsider
about the migration to HarfBuzz. The APIs of Pango
and ICU are quite different from FreeType 1.3's OT
routines, but the API of HarfBuzz is very similar.
If you can provide some sample program (to reproduce
the problem), somebody can evaluate the migration cost.

Regards,
mpsuzuki