[ft] Fonts and definition of space-character (and: error codes)

From: Oliver Bandel
Subject: [ft] Fonts and definition of space-character (and: error codes)
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 19:01:50 +0100

Hello,

I have tried to get all glyphs of a text-string.
When my program has to get the glyph of a space-
character, it does not work.
I have looked into the font (ttf-font) with fontforge.
The field is not undefined (no red crosses there),
but it somehow does not work.

I got an error with value 6.
(BTW: how to get textual error-messages for that code?)

Why is the space-char not defined?
Are the fonts I used incomplete, or is it the usual
way, that some chars have no glyphs  and even not
a spatial extent?
I thought a space would be a glyph without any
drawings, which means an empty box with height and width...

Ciao,
   Oliver