Re: [ft] Build errors (Windows and OS X)

From: mpsuzuki
Subject: Re: [ft] Build errors (Windows and OS X)
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2008 16:35:43 +0900

Dear Sir,

Before all, I'm quite sorry for your inconvenience.

On Sun, 23 Mar 2008 00:53:08 -0600
Rainer Deyke <address@hidden> wrote:
>The INSTALL.ANY instructions are incomplete in that they do not mention
>that FT2_BUILD_LIBRARY needs to be defined when building Freetype.

I think you have some special reason to follow INSTALL.ANY
instead of INSTALL, please let me know. I'm unfamiliar with
the development on Windows, but I expect the contents in
builds/win32/ help you.

>Compiling on OS X using my own build system and the INSTALL.ANY
>instructions, I keep getting errors that ftbase.c cannot find ftmac.c.
>Investigating further, I find that ftbase.c includes <ftmac.c> using
>angle brackets, which seems to prevent my compiler (Apple gcc 4.0.1)
>from finding the file.

>INSTALL.ANY says that both ftbase.c and ftmac.c should be compiled on
>Macintosh computers.  However, ftbase.c tries to #include ftmac.c, so
>this instruction is probably wrong.

Again, please let me know you used INSTALL.ANY instead
of INSTALL.MAC. I can build freetype2 on my Mac OS X
by the instruction in INSTALL.MAC. However, I received
several comments: irregular inclusion <ftmac.c> is
inconvenient to merge freetype2 sources into other systems,
so it's replaced by traditional inclusion "ftmac.c" in
latest CVS revision. If you want to follow INSTALL.ANY,
please check latest CVS revision.

Anyway, I was unaware of the incompatibility between
INSTALL.ANY instruction and complicated ftmac.c. I must
update INSTALL.ANY. Great thank you for finding that,
and sorry for your inconvenient experience.

Regards,
mpsuzuki