Re: [ft] Can I create a Truetype font at runtime

From: George Williams
Subject: Re: [ft] Can I create a Truetype font at runtime
Date: 31 Mar 2008 07:18:38 -0800

On Mon, 2008-03-31 at 00:28, sivaprasadcg wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I am using Freetype2 as the font engine for Truetype fonts.
> What I have found from the code is, Freetype lib extracts the bit
> information of the glyph on the fly (say "A" ) and stores that bit
> information in a strucure. And the graphics library reads that structure and
> performs 'setpixel' function whereever bits are '1'.
> My question is, if I have that bit information, can I create back a ttf file
> at runtime.
> I am getting the bit information on the fly and I want to create a TTF file
> using those bit information.
This is beyond the scope of freetype. Freetype does not create fonts.

There are various autotrace programs available
   * http://autotrace.sf.net/
   * http://potrace.sf.net/
(perhaps others) which will take a bitmap image and produce a vector
outline.

There are other tools to take outlines and make fonts
    * http://fontforge.sf.net/